Monday, June 3, 2013

SALEM SPRINGS SPRINT 
JUNE 1, 2013 

The "pond" wasn't as bad as I thought it would be even though it smelled like a backed up sewer filled with rotten fish and duck crap.  I gulped down a mouthful in my warmup just to get it over with.  Not knowing the race route caused some hesitancy, but I picked a fast swimmer and stuck with him the whole time.  The swim times have not been posted yet, but a racer who got out just in front of me finished the swim in 14:00.  I had a horrible spot in the transition area.  The worst - hands down.  There were around 300 racers and the transition area was packed.  I was stuck in the back and realized, at the end of the race, how important it is to treat the transition area a very important part of the race.  I lost critical time finding my stuff and running too far in my cycle shoes.

The bike route was filled with 90 degree turns and weird intersections.  As soon as I started flying I was forced hit the brakes.  With that said, I pushed hard and was above my high threshold for over 60% of the bike (172+bpm).  The second lap of the bike was filled with all of the people who had just gotten out of the water.  It was a mess.  I spent most of the second lap close to the center line of the road an yelling at people on mountain bikes.

The goal was to run a sub 7:00 pace - according to Strava I did it, but until the race results show I guess it is not official.  There were some uphill portions and then some short downhill stuff, but I kept a strong solid pace.  I push my legs hard, and started to get wobbly in the final mile.  There was a racer about 150m ahead of me during the whole run.  I would gain on him and then he would pull away.  I figured he was an elite racer, but when the final results came out he took 1st in our age and I took 2nd.  Lost to him by 23 seconds.  12th overall at 1:10:40.  Seven minutes behind the top finisher.

It was a great race, but overall victory will not happen until my swim time drops at least 2:00-3:00 minutes and I can run around a 6:30 pace.



Total time: 1:10:40 (12/204)
Swim: 14:24 (21/204)
T1: 1:42 (53/204)
Bike: 31:52 (4/204)
T2: 1:30 (93/204)
Run: 21:15 (14/204) 

Transitions were not the highlight yesterday, but I did bike faster than the overall winner. 

No comments: